This gourmet salad is nutrient-rich and flavor- packed! It combines simple seasoned roasted winter vegetables with fresh kale, creamy avocado, toasted almonds, and a tangy homemade lemon tahini dressing for a combination that will please your palate. It is gluten-free, dairy free, and vegan! This dish provides you with an immune boost of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants that are always welcome during the winter season.I love to promote cooking with seasonal produce. It means you are supporting local farmers and the environment. It’s also more economical and promotes creativity in your kitchen!I use avocado oil in this recipe for its flavor and health benefits, but feel free to replace with olive oil, which is also a good choice, if you prefer. Serves 6-8
2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
2 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato or butternut squash (your preference)
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions, green parts
1/2 sliced avocado
3 oz fresh baby kale
optional: 1 cup canned/cooked garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon avocado oil
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprikaDressing:
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup (or more) water
1–2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 400’. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a single layer on the paper arrange cauliflower pieces, diced sweet potato or squash, and quartered Brussels sprouts.
- In a small dish mix together 1/4 cup avocado oil, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Mix together and drizzle evenly on top of veggies on baking sheet. Roast for about 18-20 min, until tender. When done, let vegetables sit for a few minutes on the baking sheet to cool.
- While veggies roast, prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients in a dish and whisk together. Alternatively, you can put ingredients together in a jar with a fitted lid and shake well. Add more water to dressing if you want it thinner.
- Then Sauté almonds. Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add slivered almonds, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika to pan. Toss with a spatula and continue to brown. When almonds are fragrant and golden, they are done. This will only take a few minutes. Then turn off heat and remove from pan to cool until ready to use.
- To prepare salad, place ingredients in your serving dish or bowl in the following order: kale, roasted vegetables, scallions, parsley, then avocado slices. Finally top with your seasoned almonds and drizzle with lemon tahini dressing. Toss to combine if preferred.
This salad is a Fast Eat Live Phase 2 salad if using butternut squash. If choosing sweet potatoes, which have more fiber and protein, it is a phase 3 salad.