This gourmet salad is nutrient-rich and flavor-packed! It combines simple seasoned roasted winter vegetables with fresh kale, creamy avocado, toasted almonds, and a tangy homemade lemon tahini dressing for a combination that will please your palate. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan! This dish provides you with an immune boost of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are always welcome during the winter season. I love to promote cooking with seasonal produce. It means you are supporting local farmers and the environment. It’s also more economical and promotes creativity in your kitchen! I use avocado oil in this recipe for its flavor and health benefits, but feel free to replace with olive oil, which is also a good choice, if you prefer. Serves 6-8
2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
2 cups cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato or butternut squash (your preference)
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4–1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions, green parts
1/2 sliced avocado
3 oz fresh baby kale
optional: 1 cup canned/cooked garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon avocado oil
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 cup avocado oil
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup (or more) water
1–2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 400’. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a single layer on the paper arrange cauliflower pieces, diced sweet potato or squash, and quartered brussels sprouts.
- In a small dish mix together 1/4 cup avocado oil, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Mix together and drizzle evenly on top of veggies on baking sheet. Roast for about 18-20 min, until tender. When done, let vegetables sit for a few minutes on the baking sheet to cool.
- While veggies roast, prepare dressing by mixing all ingredients in a dish and whisk together. Alternatively, you can put ingredients together in a jar with a fitted lid and shake well. Add more water to dressing if you want it thinner.
- Then Sauté almonds. Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add slivered almonds, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika to pan. Toss with a spatula and continue to brown. When almonds are fragrant and golden, they are done. This will only take a few minutes. Then turn off heat and remove from pan to cool until ready to use.
- To prepare salad, place ingredients in your serving dish or bowl in the following order: kale, roasted vegetables, scallions, parsley, then avocado slices. Finally top with your seasoned almonds and drizzle with lemon tahini dressing. Toss to combine if preferred.
This salad is a Fast Eat Live Phase 2 salad if using butternut squash. If choosing sweet potatoes, which have more fiber and protein, it is a phase 3 salad.