A perfect fall soup for all our pumpkins! 🍂🍁🎃Inspired by a Rachel Ray recipe I made years ago, but adapted to my personal taste and made it a bit healthier over the years. I love the cran-apple chili topping! (Serves 8)
- 4 cups fresh cooked pumpkin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (up to 6 if you like it thinner)
- 1 1/2 cup half & half or whole milk
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/8 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped Apple
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- Purée cooked pumpkin until smooth in a blender.
- Heat oil In a large pot and add celery, onions and herbs. Sauté until tender.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 30 min.
- While soup cooks mix your cranberry apple topping ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet for just a couple minutes until fragrant and toasty
- When soup has simmered for 30 min, whisk in arrowroot powder in and stir until thick.
- Lastly, add milk and nutmeg and turn off heat.
- Ladle soup and top with about 2 Tbs cranberry apple topping and a few pinches of toasted pumpkin seeds!