Sweet and savory, creamy and delicious–Here is your perfect fall soup, and a great use for your pumpkins! Buy one for your Jack-o-lantern and one for this soup. I promise you’ll be making it again and again. This recipe was inspired by a Rachel Ray recipe I made years ago, but adapted to my personal taste and made it a bit healthier over the years. The Cran-Apple Chili topping takes this one over the top heavenly!
- 4 cups fresh cooked pumpkin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (up to 6 if you like it thinner) (may replace with vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream (or milk alternative)
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/8 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Purée cooked pumpkin until smooth in a blender.
- Heat oil In a large pot and add celery, onions and herbs. Sauté until tender.
- Add chicken broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 30 min.
- While soup cooks mix your cranberry apple topping ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a dry skillet for just a couple minutes until fragrant and toasty
- When soup has simmered for 30 min, whisk in arrowroot powder in and stir until thick.
- Lastly, add milk and nutmeg and turn off heat.
- Ladle soup and top with about 2 tablespoons cranberry apple topping and a few pinches of toasted pumpkin seeds!
- Category: Soup
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: gluten-free, pumpkin