Here is your perfect salad for take-along lunches. I’m all about reducing time in the kitchen and this hearty dish sits well in the fridge for days. Fresh, filling, healthy, and a satisfying texture, this salad is a favorite of ours. The tangy homemade dressing compliments the chewy grains and crunchy veggies perfectly. It’s immune boosting and packed with essential vitamins. This recipe is based off of PCC’s “Perfect Protein Salad.” It is both wholesome and tasty, like their entire shared recipe collection, but here I have included some optional variations which I have enjoyed.
- 3 cups cooked farro, barley, freekeh, bulgar, spelt berries (original recipes), or other hearty ancient grain of choice. You can also do a mix of more than one.
- 1 large cucumber peeled, and diced (seeding optional)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 6 green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup or more parsley, chopped
- 1-2 Tbs or more fresh dill (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1-2 Tbs or more fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup veganaise or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- optional: 1/2 cup chopped radishes
- Cook grain according to package directions. Some have a different grain to water ratio and require longer cooking times. Once cooked, drain (if excess water), and cool cooked grain.
- In a large bowl mix together cooked grain, garbanzo beans, diced cucumbers, diced peppers, celery, diced carrots, onions, green onions and chopped fresh herbs.
- Mix together mayonnaise/veganaise, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, garlic, and dried herbs (if using). Stir this into the salad and toss well.