If you are a beet lover you will love this: Beet, Goat Cheese, Toasted Walnut Salad tossed with arugula. If you’re not a beet lover, you just might be after you try this? Beets are highly nutritious! Although their pigment compound is different the golden beets, a descendant of a sea vegetable, has the same nutritional benefits as the familiar red ones. They are high in fiber, calcium and potassium. (Recipe serves 5)
- 3-4 good-sized golden beets or equal to about 4 cups cubed
- 3 oz goat cheese (chèvre)
- 2 handfuls arugula (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts toasted[/ingredients]
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 Tbs Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Clean and trim beets to prepare for cooking. Choose to either roast or boil.
- To roast in the oven, wrap in foil in 425′ oven for 45 min to an hour. To boil, cut in halves and cover with water in a saucepan for shorter cooking time. Bring to a boil covered and simmer for about 20-30 min until tender.
- While beets are cooking mix your vinaigrette dressing in a dish
- Once beets are cooked and cooled, so you can handle, the beet skin peels right off. Cut into bit-sized pieces.
- Place beets in a medium bowl and toss with arugula, toasted walnuts, chèvre and dressing[/directions]