Here is a one-pot meal that will be your optimal comfort food fix! It is completely gluten-free and also packed with nutrition. It’s hard to believe all this deliciousness goes from your fridge to your spoon in under 30 minutes! You can skip (or replace) the dairy in this if you desire, but I just happen to love the cheesy-creaminess of it! I also prefer to use a thick-cut uncured nitrite-free bacon.
- 1 package organic frozen corn
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 cups diced red potatoes with skin on
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 dup diced red or yellow bell pepper or other sweet pepper variety
- 1 qt chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbs fresh
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup organic whole milk
- 2 Tbs arrowroot powder (can replace with cornstarch or flour)
- 1/2 cup half & half (can replace with milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- fresh ground pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed stock pot or dutch oven (my preference) cook bacon until done and crispy
- Remove bacon and place on a paper towel on a plate
- Leave a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat in your pot, but you can drain out the rest.
- Add your diced onion, garlic, celery and pepper to the pot. Cook on medium heat, tossing, until tender (about 5 minutes)
- Next add your potatoes and bag of corn and cook another few minutes, tossing.
- Add your chicken broth, arrowroot powder (or replacement), thyme and salt. Turn up heat and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add in milk, cream, and cheese.
- When ready to serve spoon into bowl and break a piece of bacon to place on top.
- Add black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste