Low-Carb Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
A popular and beloved dish is given a new profile in this tasty recipe. This casserole, is all the flavors of ENCHILADAS, but without the tortillas. Not only does this make the preparation super simple, but it also reduces the carbohydrates, making this dish Keto-friendly. It’s high protein, nutritious, and filling. Loaded with Tex-Mex flavors, tantalizing textures, and cheesy goodness, it’s perfect as a low-carb entrée on its own, or served as a hot dip with your favorite corn chips for entertaining. (Reduce recipe by half to fit in an 8″x 8″ baking dish instead of 9″x 13″.)
- 4 large raw chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 28 oz. can of your favorite verde enchilada sauce (You can replace with a red sauce if you prefer)
- 4 oz. can diced green chilis
- 1/4 cup or more sliced, jarred jalapeño
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 3 cups shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, sliced/diced avocado, olives, cilantro, lime
- Lightly oil a 9×13″ baking dish. Preheat oven to 375′.
- Generously season raw chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a small dish mix together the other spices: cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika. Sprinkle evenly on all sides of chicken.
- Heat oil in skillet. Cook chicken thoroughly, then dice into bite sized pieces. You may prefer to cut chicken into chunks before cooking. Set cooked chicken aside in a medium-large bowl.
- Heat a little more oil in your skillet and sauté onion pieces on medium heat. Add spinach and turn heat to low to wilt. You may need to add a few tablespoons of water as spinach cooks, so it doesn’t burn. Toss spinach and onion in the bowl with your chicken.
- Heat cream cheese in microwave to soften/melt for 20-30 seconds and stir into spinach and chicken mixture.
- Add diced green chilis to bowl along with your enchilada sauce. Mix ingredients together. Spoon evenly into baking dish. Top with cheese. Then place sliced jalapeõs on top.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 min in preheated oven. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes to brown cheese.
- When ready to serve add your favorite toppings listed!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
Keywords: Keto, chicken, enchiladas, chiles, cheese, tex-mex, mexican, casserole