Vegetable, Sausage, and Cheese Egg Bake
Are you in need of some new breakfast inspiration? This dish will quickly become a staple in your meal planning! It is gluten-free, nutrient-dense and flavorful. This egg bake is perfect for weekend brunches, potlucks, and even for my family to have a healthy dish to reheat during the week. I have made it with both broccoli or mushrooms. You can try another favorite vegetable of your choice too, like zucchini. It’s perfect for a crowd and can be cut into any sized portions. Perfectly healthy, tasty, and satisfying!
- 10–12 eggs (or 1 pint egg whites)
- 1 cup whole organic milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter or oil
- 1 pound all natural chicken or pork breakfast sausages
- 1 1/2 cup cut broccoli florets or 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 10 oz fresh spinach or chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Then whisk in milk, salsa verde, and cheeses.
- Heat olive oil in skillet (I prefer my cast iron) and cook sausage. Then dice it. Remove sausage from pan and add to egg mixture.
Melt butter in the skillet and sauté onions for about 3 min. Add mushrooms and cook on medium low heat until soft. If using broccoli, cook until bright green and tender. Add spinach or kale to skillet and wilt.
- Remove vegetables from pan and stir into egg and sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into greased 9×13 dish and bake for about 30- 35 min or until egg puffs a bit and knife comes out clean. You may need more cooking time depending on your oven. Let egg bake sit a few minutes before cutting and serving. It reheats quite well for a high protein breakfast or snack for busier morning.
Fast Eat Live Phase 2