After living in Southern California for a decade, I grew to love meals with a Mexican flare, although these are still pretty American. There are so many different taco and burrito styles. This recipe is for a flavorful simple and hearty ground beef filling you can use in burritos or tacos. These are sure to be a crowd pleaser. If you want to skip the tortillas you could use collard greens instead! This recipe for ground beef filling will make about 6 8-10″ burritos.
Ingredients for Ground beef filling:
- 1 1/2 pounds grassfed organic ground beef
- 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 T cumin
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a skillet. (I prefer cast iron) Sauté onions in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add stewed tomatoes, stir in spices and salt.
- Then simmer until liquid almost evaporates.
- In a separate pan heat olive oil and heat each tortilla on medium high heat one side, and then the other until it puffs a bit and slightly browns. (I prefer cast iron for this step too)
To assemble burritos as pictured you will need the following ingredients:
- Sour cream
- Fresh tomatoes chopped
- Avocado sliced
- Shredded cheese
- cilantro chopped
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Spread sour cream on each tortilla
- Top with beef mixture
- Add chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro
- Top with hot sauce or salsa of your choice.
- Fold together!
Nutrition info for ground beef mixture