Taco Tuesday anyone? 🌮How about a simple and nutritious skillet tamale pie to celebrate! 🌶I created this dish using all my favorite taco seasoning ingredients and in my most used pan- the cast iron skillet. I’ve always been a big cornmeal fan, so this is perfect topped with sour cream and guacamole if you like!
- 1 1/2 lb Grass fed organic ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 can diced organic tomatoes🍅
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen corn🌽
- 3/4 cup salsa of your choice
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese + 3/4 cup to top dish.
- Preheat oven to 350′.
- Mix your seasoning ingredients in a small dish
- Using large cast iron skillet sauté onion in olive oil until tender.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, corn, black beans drained, and seasoning. Simmer at least 10 minutes.
- While mixture is cooking prep cornmeal topping. Add corn meal and water to a pot.
- Bring cornmeal to a boil and simmer 10 minutes until soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Spoon cornmeal over meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- let sit a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro. Enjoy!