For all you nut butter, chocolate, and coconut lovers, this recipe is for you!
I have been making all sorts of protein balls over the years and I think I’ve found a favorite combination of ingredients! These are packed with nutrition, but also satisfy a craving for a treat. My fitness trainer husband wanted a quick protein bite option to have post-work out and these are perfect. Remember to eat a protein snack within 40 min after your work-out to assist with rebuilding muscle! Two balls is about 7.5 gm of healthy protein.
These are grain free delectable little bites that need no baking. It takes just minutes to throw ingredients in a blender. I prefer a whey protein powder that is stevia sweetened. Raisins add additional sweetness, but If you want your snack sweeter use chocolate chips in place of raw cacao nibs in this recipe. Otherwise, there is no added sugar, just a variety of nuts, coconut oil seeds and a spicy kick if you like (cayenne pepper). These are deliciously satisfying. Store in refrigerated airtight container.
Recipe makes about 30 balls
- 1/2 cup all-natural nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter or other)
- 1 cup favorite nut combination (walnuts, peanuts, almonds, cashew)
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1 cup packed raisins
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (or hemp seeds or a combo)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (blends better if softened)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs (less sweet and higher nutritional content)
- 1/3 cup chocolate protein powder (I prefer a whey & casein)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or more if you like a kick in these like I do! (plus cayenne pepper is a great little immune boost)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut for rolling balls in
- Put all ingredients in vitamix or equivalent blender. Mix on medium speed, using a tamper until it becomes a paste.
- Scoop out of the vitamix and roll into 1 inch balls.
- Then roll in shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate to hold shape and create the perfect texture.