It’s nice to have an easy grab and go breakfast that the kids love too! I like to make a batch of healthy muffins, freeze them and on busy mornings pop a few in the oven. Warm buttered muffins right out of the oven are always the best! These “healthy” muffins are actually still delicious. Recipe makes 12
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour (Substitute for gluten-free flour if you want)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 T melted coconut oil or butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1 cup blueberries + 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 small lemons tested (or 1 large) The lemon flavor is light. If you like a stronger lemon flavor add a couple drops of lemon oil if you like.[/ingredients][directions title=”Directions”]
- Preheat oven to 350′.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking oil or spray.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients: flour, almond meal, oats, baking powder and salt.
- In separate bowl whisk eggs. Add oil, yogurt, milk and whisk together.
- Mix with dry ingredients.
- Then fold in 1 cup blueberries, coconut, and lemon zest (and lemon oil if using).
- Divide batter between muffin cups.
- Then press remaining 1/4 cup blueberries into the tops of muffins so they are visible and bake (a couple each)
- Sprinkle with additional coconut on the tops if you like, or oats.
- Bake about 20 minutes until tops are firm and toothpick comes out clean.