We usually think of muffins as a sweet, bready, high carb treat, but these are quite the opposite! A version of this recipe is also found in my breakfast ebook “The Art of the Wholesome Breakfast.”
Nutrient-rich protein bites, these savory baked egg and vegetable muffins are just like mini oven-baked crustless quiches. You can keep them in your fridge and reheat for a 30 second snack or breakfast. They are incredibly simple to prepare and versatile to your personal tastes (or what you have in the fridge). I have given two different vegetable options and a few different meat options in this recipe.
Makes 12 muffins
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk, half and half, or cream
- 3/4 cup defrosted and drained frozen spinach or 3/4 cup cooked broccoli florets, diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup cooked ham, bacon, smoked turkey, or sausage
- 1/3 cup salsa verde or 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350′. In a medium bowl beat eggs together with milk/cream. Mix in cheese, spinach, meat, salsa, salt and pepper.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Evenly distribute egg mixture between cups (at least 3/4 full).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until egg is baked through and tops are firm to the touch.
- Garnish with fresh sliced tomatoes, avocado, hot sauce, or salsa and sour cream. let cool a few minutes before removing from the muffin pan.