This is hands down my favorite granola ever! I have smelled the aroma of it baking in my mom’s oven my entire life and nothing in the stores ever compares.
It has been tweaked over time now to make it even more nutritious and heart-healthy! The best part is you can adjust it to your own personal tastes or dietary needs or even to what ingredients you have on hand. Make it Gluten free, vegan, or even nut-free. It’s super easy for little ones to prepare with you, and entertaining with lots of stirring. Make a big batch and have it handy during this busy season to top on yogurt for an easy breakfast option or snack. It’s also perfectly packaged for homemade holiday gifts!
- 8 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup wheat germ (optional)
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups chopped almonds and walnuts (or other nuts of your choice)
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup soy flour (this helps with clumping, but is optional
- 1 cup powdered milk (also helps with sticking it together, but optional)
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds[/ingredients]Reserve dried fruits to add later:
- 1 cup raisin
- 1 cup dried cranberries (You can use dried chopped apricots, gogi berries, dried blueberries or other)
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt[/ingredients]
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients but stirring together.
- Mix warmed wet ingredients well with dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (Reserve a couple of tablespoons to mix with dried fruit)
- To brown evenly while baking, spread your raw granola in two greased lasagna size baking dishes or roasting pans. One pan can be used if necessary.
- Bake at for about an hour depending on your oven. Stir every 10-15 min.
- Meanwhile, toss your small amount of reserved wet ingredients with your dried fruit.
- During your last 15 min of baking, stir the dried fruit into the granola and finish baking.
- stir a few times while it cools. Let cool completely before packaging.
- Store in airtight container.