Sweet and savory AMAZING little morsels!! Truth be told I burned my mouth…not once, but 3 times in a row eating these straight out of the oven, because I couldn’t wait for them to cool! I admit I was hesitant to add sugar to my protein appetizers, but it is the holiday season and this IS a crowd pleaser! Brown sugar has slightly more nutritional content than white because of the minerals in the molasses, but if you’re reducing sugar in your diet, you can skip this ingredient altogether and these will not disappoint.
- 2 1/2 lb chicken breasts cut into about 1.5 inch pieces
- 1 lb all natural nitrite-free bacon strips cut into thirds
- 3 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 2/3 cup organic dark brown sugar (optional ingredient)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a bowl mix together chili powder, brown sugar (if using), salt and oregano.
- Wrap each piece of chicken with 1/3 piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Lightly cover each bacon wrapped chicken piece with dry mixture by sprinkling around it.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to make clean up easier. Arrange chicken bites with a little space between. If you have wire racks that are oven safe you can spray with cooking spray and place chicken on top and then place racks on on baking sheets, so bacon comes out crispy (my preferred method).
- Bake for 20-25 min or until chicken is cooked through and juice runs clear.