I served up this gluten-free egg bake on Christmas morning for a group breakfast and a second time this week for a big family potluck brunch! The first time I made it with mushrooms. The second time with broccoli It’s perfect for a crowd and can be cut into any size squares. It also reheats well for a high protein breakfast or snack on a busier morning. Perfectly healthy, tasty, and satisfying!
- 10-12 eggs (or 1 pint egg whites)
- 1 cup whole organic milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter or oil
- 1 pound all natural chicken breakfast sausages
- 1 1/2 cup cut broccoli florets or if you prefer 8 oz crimini sliced mushrooms
- 10 oz fresh spinach or chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl..
- Then whisk in milk, salsa verde, and cheeses.
- Heat olive oil in skillet (I prefer my cast iron) and cook sausage, then dice it.
- Remove sausage from pan and add to egg mixture.
- Melt butter in the skillet and sauté onions for about 3 min.
- Add mushrooms and cook on med low heat until cooked and soft. If using broccoli cook until bright green and tender.
- Add spinach or kale to skillet and wilt.
- Remove vegetables from pan and stir into egg and sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into greased 9×13 dish and bake for about 30- 35 min or until egg puffs a bit and knife comes out clean. May need more cooking time depending on your oven. Let egg bake sit a few minutes before cutting and serving.