Almond meal encrusted flaky white fish make a delicious gluten-free battered fish taco option! These little morsels cooked in coconut oil and drizzled with a creamy, tangy white sauce are beyond perfection! Try my salsa recipe under “appetizers/snacks” for an additional fantastic dairy- free topping.
I had cod available for this recipe, but halibut, mahi mahi or even tilapia would work well. Just make sure it’s fresh and wild caught!
Almond Battered Fish:
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili & lime spice blend (or just chili powder and fresh squeezed lime if you don’t have spice blend available)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound cod or other white fish cut into pieces
- Coconut oil for frying
Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 8 small corn or flour tortillas
- shredded cabbage or lettuce
- chopped onions
- chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese
- Cut fish into 1.5 to 2″ inch pieces
- In a bowl stir almond meal, salt, and seasoning.
- In another bowl whisk egg.
- Dip each fish piece into egg and then evenly coat in almond meal mixture.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook fish, turning occasionally until golden (about five minutes).
- Transfer to a plate covered with paper towel to soak up some of the coconut oil.
- While fish is cooking, prepare white sauce by adding all ingredients to a blender and blend.
- Assemble tacos
Nutrition label indicated for almond encrusted fish only