If you love a good old fashioned bowl of warm oatmeal you’ll love this, especially knowing how healthy it is! It’s a fantastic, but simple breakfast option. Millet is gluten-free and although considered an ancient grain, it is technically a seed. Loaded with B vitamins, one serving of this breakfast bowl topped with 1/2 cup of organic milk has over 12 grams of protein. You can get creative with your additions and toppings. Try any fruits, nuts or seeds you have on hand. Today pecans and blueberries were a superb combination! There are two ways to cook millet. The first is the method indicated in my dinner recipe this week ( See “Sausage and Vegetable Saute with cooked Millet side” ) with a ratio of 1 cup millet to 2 cups water. However, if you want it creamier for breakfast, like a polenta consistency, add more water when cooking. Either way works! It’s simply your preference for consistency. You can also refrigerate your cooked millet and serve cold a day or two after, which I also like.
(Reduce the recipe for fewer servings or prepare as indicated for a few days of easy breakfasts to reheat)
- 1 cup dry millet
- 2 cups water (3 cups if you want it creamier)
- 1 Tbs butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 oz. chopped pecans
- 2 Tbs hulled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- In a saucepan melt your butter and toast dry millet for a few minutes to enhance nutty flavor. Stir so as not to burn until millet is golden in color.
- Then add water and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce to simmer and cook about 20 minutes. If cooking with 3 cups water you can stir it frequently like you would while cooking oatmeal. Otherwise, just let it simmer and you can get away with stirring less frequently. When soft and cooked, fluff with a fork.
- Spoon millet into 4 bowls (about 3/4 cup each) and divide above toppings between the servings.
- Drizzle with honey or maple syrup if you want it sweeter or add a touch of cinnamon.
- Then top with your choice of milk or milk substitute.
Nutrition label indicated for ingredients listed above without your choice of milk