One of my all time favorite breakfasts! I love cornmeal anything, but this breakfast also has nostalgia for me as corn flapjacks were one of my dad’s specialties. When I was young he would make piles of them on weekend mornings for our family of 8. Sometimes, when we all get together with families and spouses he still does!
So, Here is my own version. I prefer them cooked in coconut oil in my cast iron skillet and they come out thin, with crispy edges.
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole grain medium grind cornmeal
- 1/2 cup plain kefir (or unflavored yogurt)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour or regular wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter (can use another oil choice too)
- Mix cornmeal and boiling water in a bowl and stir until thick.
- Whisk in eggs, milk, kefir and oil or butter to cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients, then stir together.
- Heat coconut oil (or butter) in skillet on medium-high heat.
- Spoon batter into hot skillet and cook until top bubbles and edges firm up. Then flip over and cook another couple minutes.
- Now add your toppings! I served these with plain Greek yogurt and sliced pears?. Also delicious with fresh berry jam, honey, or pure maple syrup and butter!