My kids love bananas, but with the summer heat, they seem to ripen quicker and sometimes we end up with a few extra brown ones! Some of these I freeze for smoothies and others get transformed into a yummy baked bread! Here’s a favorite healthy version of banana bread, sweetened with only 1/4 cup honey (and the bananas of course). Greek Yogurt, coconut oil and butter make it moist. Coconut, pecans or walnuts, and hemp seeds add some fun texture. You can make this bread gluten-free by substituting the traditional whole wheat flour for a gluten-free version of your choice.
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or plain kefir
- 2 large mashed bananas + 1 extra banana to use for slicing on top
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 Tbs hulled hemp seed
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In a bowl mash bananas. Then add honey, eggs, and yogurt, vanilla, melted coconut oil and butter. Beat or mix until well combined (a minute or 2)
- In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients: baking soda, cinnamon, salt, flour, almond meal.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in hemp seeds, coconut and chopped nuts
- Pour into your loaf pan
- Slice a banana lengthwise about 1/4″. Use two slices to put on top of loaf
- Sprinkle top with extra chopped walnuts, pecans, or shredded coconut if desired
- Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes out clean.